Pages

Headphone Performance







In this performance, I chose something to listen to that resonated emotionally to me. I listened to it on headphones and allowed myself to simply react to what I heard without holding back. While doing this, the audience could not hear what I was listening to nor did anyone know. By not including the audience in on what I was experiencing internally while showing them how that was affecting externally, I created an intimate distance between the audience and myself- that, at times, resulted in questioning about whether or not i was listening to anything at all, or how sincere I was. Was I simply acting? These questions were completely acceptable and expected. Furthermore, by creating a disconnect between the experience of listening to the headphones and what I was projecting as a result, the audience was placed in a unique, strange position- a constructed voyeur.